Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sorry-for-Being-Busy Post/Rwandan Genocide Television Program

Greetings, readers!  I'm sorry that it's been a while since I've posted anything . . . .  Law school has been grinding me down of late, and bar applications, a new research assistant job, and other assorted happenings have hindered my ability to post consistently. :(

Anyway, I hope to get back to fairly regular posting soon, but I wanted to throw up a semi-"filler" post so that at least something new was posted.

So, here, as a bit of atypical filler, I wanted to share this PBS Frontline documentary about the Rwanda Genocide.  I recently had to watch a different, shorter PBS documentary on this topic ("The Triumph of Evil") for one of my graduate classes.  This one is longer, with more interviews - including extensive interviews with Canadian General Roméo Dallaire, the Force Commander for the UNAMIR peacekeeping mission that was supposed to be enforcing the Rwandan ceasefire.  This documentary is heartbreaking, and it is a grim reminder (as if more recent atrocities weren't a reminder enough) that the governments of the world are much more likely to feign ignorance or excuse while genocide occurs, and then weep crocodile tears in its aftermath, than they are to live up to the post-Holocaust pledge of "never again."















No comments:

Post a Comment